My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Monday, November 21, 2005

Richmond - Chapter 10

Richmond – Chapter 10
Immigrants on the Prairies
Wow! I can’t say that I ever knew that Kansas was such a melting pot of ethnicity. I realized that there were a few different nationalities that had immigrated to Kansas, but not near the number the book talks about. What an eye opener! I also found it amazing that they came together in such large numbers. The communities that they were setting up were quite large in size and numbers. It was almost as if they were starting their own little countries within Kansas. Along with them they brought many traditions and ideas that continue today. When I was in middle school I went to Bethany College to a volleyball camp. I remember thinking how the little Swedish town in the middle of Kansas was amazing. I actually know a woman who came to Kansas from Russia. It would be fun for her to come and talk about her culture compared to what she faced when she moved here to give the kids an idea of the differences that these immigrants faced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home