My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Monday, November 21, 2005

Richmond - Chapter 11

Richmond – Chapter 11
Prohibition to Populism, 1870 – 1900

Having been born and raised in Kansas I myself have always taken pride in our capital building. It is a beautiful piece of work. Last year we took our students on a tour of the capital during the Kansas Day Celebration. It was AWESOME! The whole thing is just beautiful inside and out. I do think that it is interesting that nine men died in the building of the capital. This year I have some boys that are very much into scary storybooks, so I read to them about the worker that fell to his death while working on the dome and is thought to still be working and trying to obtain his paycheck. They loved it. I also read to them about the battle over the house. The picture of them with their guns in the house just intrigues me. They found it interesting also. Populism played such a part in Kansas’ history.
Once again Prohibition is a large part of Kansas history. I was not aware that we were the first state to outlaw alcohol. Wow! I was aware of Carrie Nation and her little hatchet though. What a woman she must have been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home